Springbank on the Wissahickon
From Asylum Projects
|Springbank on the Wissahickon|
Sanitorium on April 18, 1954
|Building Style||Pre-1854 Plans|
|Location||6700 Wissahickon Ave., Philadelphia, Pennsylvania|
The Springbank Sanitorium was founded in 1838 by Samuel Mason, the second such psychiatric facility in the city of Philadelphia, after that of Friends Hospital. In 1840, it became the property of Dr. Edward Lowber; however its original owner remained in residence on the grounds until 1888. It clinical purpose appears to shift in time, by 1900 it served "anemic and debilitated small girls". It was still in active use as a respite until the early 1960's. However, much of its history is unknown.