|Building Style||Cottage Plan|
In 1905, the Pokegama Sanatorium was established on the shores of Pokegama Lake. The 35 acre site had facilites for thirty-six patients. The fee was thirty to fifty dollars per week. A sanatorium farm supplied all necessary vegetables, meats and dairy products. The facility closed in 1943 and the property was sold to the Redemptorist Fathers to be used as a school for priests.
It was later named "Pine Manor" and used for chemical dependency treatment center. In 1986 it was facing financial difficulties and closed its doors around April 1, of that year. In 1986 the cost of treatment was $84 per day or $2,000 for the 21 day program. Comparable treatment in other privately owned centers was $4,000 to $7,000 for the complete program. The Manor had 53 percent recovery rate for clients, based upon two years of sobriety follow-up studies.