Montebello State Hospital
|Montebello State Hospital|
|Building Style||Cottage Plan|
|Architect(s)||Edward Hughes Glidden|
Sydenham Hospital for Communicable Diseases (later known as the Montebello State Chronic Disease Hospital) is located in Baltimore, west of Herring Run and adjacent to the city’s water filtration plant. The hospital campus, as originally constructed in 1922-1924, consists of seven buildings: the main hospital building, the administration building, the kitchen, the nurses’ home, the laundry with servants’ quarters above, the garage, and the power house. In 1939, a residence for the Director of Medical Research was added at the west end of the campus. The campus was designed by noted Baltimore architect Edward Hughes Glidden, Sr. Its institutional-scale, buff brick buildings with stone and terra-cotta trim are presented in the Italian Renaissance Revival style, characteristic of the 1920s. The buildings are placed within a campus-like setting with the main hospital building serving as the anchor from which the other buildings are located throughout the grounds. The administration building and the kitchen are positioned as two projecting wings from the hospital building, creating a collegiate setting. Walkways and courtyards lead to the other buildings sited more informally and slightly separated from this main grouping of buildings. After the hospital closed in 1949, the site was assumed by the Montebello State Chronic Disease Hospital. Several buildings were constructed on the campus by the subsequent owners between 1954 and 1984. The hospital was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1998.
Images of Montebello State Hospital
Main Image Gallery: Montebello State Hospital
Links & Additional Information