Clay County Poor Farm
| Clay County Poor Farm | |
|---|---|
| Established | 1856 |
| Construction Began | 1875 |
| Opened | 1876/1911 |
| Closed | 1975 |
| Current Status | Preserved |
| Building Style | Single Building |
| Location | Bowling Green, IN |
| Architecture Style | Beaux Arts |
| Alternate Names |
|
History
The first poor farm, located two and a half miles northwest of Bowling Green, was purchased from a Mr. Blunk, at the March term of the Commissioners' Court, 1856, for $2,100.25. The present poor farm, lying two miles southwest of Bowling Green, was purchased from James and Smith Campbell, in January, 1875, for $7,900. The contract for the present buildings was let to Slocum & Co., in December, 1875, for $10,857.96. These buildings were completed and occupied the following year. The current building was constructed in 1911.
It served as a county home until 1975. After closing in 1975, the second Poor Farm became a nursing home owned by the McCanns. When the nursing home closed, it was purchased and used as an auction house and flea market. The property is currently privately owned and used as a auction house & flea market, renamed the Poor Farm Markets. [1]