Difference between revisions of "Portal:Featured Image Of The Week"

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
(654 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
{{FIformat
 
{{FIformat
|Image= Northville2.jpg
+
|Image= dearbornMI002pc.jpg
|Width= 350px
+
|Width= 600px
|Body= When [[Northville State Hospital]] was built in the 1950's, it was considered to be the the state's largest hospital complex. One of the buildings on its campus later housed the Northville Residential Training Center, a separate institution. Not long after, the state was considering the small wooded piece of land between this institution and Hawthorne Center to place the Maxey Boys Training School, but the plan was rejected, and Maxey was built in Whitmore Lake.
+
|Body= The [[St Josephs Retreat|St. Joseph's Retreat]] was established in 1860 as the Michigan State Retreat. This was Michigan's first private mental institution, and allegedly catered mostly to the affluent. It was started by the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul. In 1855 the Sisters of St. Mary's Hospital began to care for the mentally ill, who had formerly been confined to prisons or the county poor house. In 1860, they opened a seperate facility named the Michigan State Retreat, which was incorporated in 1883 as St. Joseph's Retreat. The original building stood on 140 acres overlooking the Rouge River. It was later enlarged to house 400 patients. At first these were Civil War veterans, and later alcoholics, drug addicts, and other "incurables." The first telephone installed in Dearborn was at the Retreat in 1889.  
 
}}
 
}}

Revision as of 04:59, 5 May 2024

Featured Image Of The Week

dearbornMI002pc.jpg
The St. Joseph's Retreat was established in 1860 as the Michigan State Retreat. This was Michigan's first private mental institution, and allegedly catered mostly to the affluent. It was started by the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul. In 1855 the Sisters of St. Mary's Hospital began to care for the mentally ill, who had formerly been confined to prisons or the county poor house. In 1860, they opened a seperate facility named the Michigan State Retreat, which was incorporated in 1883 as St. Joseph's Retreat. The original building stood on 140 acres overlooking the Rouge River. It was later enlarged to house 400 patients. At first these were Civil War veterans, and later alcoholics, drug addicts, and other "incurables." The first telephone installed in Dearborn was at the Retreat in 1889.