Pettey & Wallace Sanitarium
|Pettey & Wallace Sanitarium|
|Closed||1961 (as a psychiatric facility)|
|Building Style||Single Building|
Facing Southern Avenue a few yards from the south end of The Village stood the Wallace Sanitarium. This private outpatient hospital was dedicated to the treatment of alcoholism, drug addiction, and “nervous diseases and exhaustion from overwork”, as quoted from a 1940 advertisement. Drs. Walter Wallace and George Pettey, originally in practice as the De Narcotina Sanitarium downtown, moved their facility to a 116-acre campus just off Southern Avenue and opened their doors on July 14, 1924. At the time, it was a small railroad stop miles outside the city known as Cherry Station. Cherry Road is all that remains as evidence of this period. Wallace Sanitarium continued operation while The Village and other subdivisions slowly expanded around it. By the 1950's, the renamed Wallace Hospital was a teaching facility for Methodist Hospital medical students. Wallace Hospital was then demolished, probably also in the early 1960's, and infill development quickly took its place.