Mundesley Sanatorium

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
Mundesley Sanatorium
Opened 1899
Closed 1992
Current Status Preserved
Building Style Single Building
Architect(s) Boulton and Paul
Location Gimingham, North Norfolk
Alternate Names
  • Diana Princess of Wales Treatment Centre for Drug and Alcohol Problems


The hospital was established in 1899 by F.W. Burton-Fanning, as a tuberculosis sanatorium. It was the first large center in England that had been built specifically for open-air treatment of the disease. However, due to its status as a private hospital, Mundesley could only offer treatment to wealthy patients. Mundesley promoted itself as ‘health resort’, of sorts, where tuberculosis sufferers could rest and recuperate, alongside receiving treatment. For those who could manage it, active participation in a range of convalescent activities seemed to be encouraged. The hospital organized outdoor games and occasional light sports contests between patients and staff.

During World War II, Mundesley Sanatorium temporarily moved to Cheshire, only returning to Gimingham after hostilities had ceased. In the late 1940’s, huge advancements regarding the treatment of tuberculosis and a potential cure were made. By the fifties, convalescent treatment for the disease was deemed unnecessary and in 1957 the Sanatorium was officially adopted by the National Health Service, with the backing of the East Anglian Regional Hospital Board. Dr. Day became the director of this newly-proposed, general rehabilitation unit.

Alongside the hospital at Mundesley, patron F.W. Burton-Fanning oversaw another local hospice. The Kelling Sanatorium, for non-paying patients, was opened near Cromer in 1903 and is still in use today. The Mundesley Sanatorium underwent a huge refurbishment in 1997 and was re-opened as the ‘Diana Princess of Wales Treatment Centre for Drug and Alcohol Problems’. Due to a lack of funding however, the centre was forced to close in 2009. The old hospital remains standing in the original site at Gimingham, due to its current status as a Grade II listed building. [1]