St. Louis Industrial School

From Asylum Projects
Revision as of 16:01, 6 February 2018 by Jessogrady (talk | contribs)
Jump to: navigation, search
St. Louis Mission School
Established 1887
Opened 1887
Closed 1949
Demolished yes
Location Pawhuska, OK
Alternate Names



History

The St. Louis Mission School for Osage Indian girls was established 1887 by St. Kathrine Drexel and Bureau of Catholic Indian Affairs, 1/2 mile southwest of Main & Palmer in Pawhuska. The original wood-frame building burnt down in 1889 and was replaced by a four-story stone building in 1890.

In 1904 the boarding school had a documented attendance of 125 Osage girls. In 1905 the school also served as a "Day School for Half-Breeds and Whites" in the area as well as Osage girls.

The Mission School was operated by Franciscan sisters (1887-1915), Loretto sisters (1915-1942), and Blessed Sacrament sisters (1942-1949.)

Later, the buildings were razed and replaced with a low-income housing project.