Featured Image Of The Week
In 1941, the State of West Virginia
purchased 23.76 acres of land in the Cabell County town of Barboursville. Part of that property included two buildings formerly dorms of Morris Harvey College, which had moved to Charleston in 1935 and would eventually become the University of Charleston. It would take a year to recondition these buildings and install the necessary fixtures. The hospital's original designation was the Barboursville Unit of the Weston State Hospital upon opening January 20, 1942. By August 1st of that year the hospital had reached it's capacity of 270 patients. The state soon made further renovations to accommodate 315 patients.