Featured Image Of The Week
Construction of new wards
in the 1890s increased the capacity of the institution to 955. In 1927 the state took over the asylum and purchased more land and increased the capacity by 500. The asylum extended for 3 city blocks along Paddock Road encompassing about 300 acres. In the 1940s a medical building, a nurses home, and St. Dympha Chapel were completed. By 1953 the hospital had 3,568 patients and only 1,831 beds and was understaffed by 50%.