Difference between revisions of "Portal:Featured Image Of The Week"

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
 
(26 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
{{FIformat
 
{{FIformat
|Image= terrellTX004.jpg
+
|Image= EpilepticColony1910.jpg
 
|Width= 600px
 
|Width= 600px
|Body= Terrell was fortunate at that time to include among the citizens of a still young town a large group of people with the foresight to understand what such a facility could mean to a growing city. But even the farsightedness of legendary rancher and banker Col. Jim Harris, who gave the necessary acreage to the state for a meager return, could not have visualized the proportions to which [[Terrell State Hospital]] has grown today nor the immense impact it has had on the local economy for over 100 years.  
+
|Body= The only institution of its kind in the United States, the [[Abilene State School|State Epileptic Colony]] opened its doors March 26th, 1904. It immediately filled to capacity with transfers from the three state asylums. Dr. John Preston, the colony's first superintendent, admitted 104 patients that day. Treatment was a combination of proper diet, hygiene, regular habits, and exercise. The state provided free treatment for indigent patients. Others paid five dollars a week for board, medication and treatment. By August, the institution was filled to capacity with 201 patients.  
 
}}
 
}}

Latest revision as of 04:15, 12 September 2021

Featured Image Of The Week

EpilepticColony1910.jpg
The only institution of its kind in the United States, the State Epileptic Colony opened its doors March 26th, 1904. It immediately filled to capacity with transfers from the three state asylums. Dr. John Preston, the colony's first superintendent, admitted 104 patients that day. Treatment was a combination of proper diet, hygiene, regular habits, and exercise. The state provided free treatment for indigent patients. Others paid five dollars a week for board, medication and treatment. By August, the institution was filled to capacity with 201 patients.