|(156 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
Augusta5. jpg |+|
Mrs. Catherine Winslow, the first woman employed at [[ Augusta State Hospital| the Maine Insane Hospital]], was appointed matron when the asylum opened in 1840. The asylum was the product of a collaborative effort between the state and two private citizens, Reuel Williams of Augusta (married to Sarah Cony) and Benjamin Brown of Vassalborough. While early mental health institutions may fall far short of present-day standards for treatment for mental illness, the establishment of such places in the early nineteenth century was based, in part, on reforming care for the mentally ill. |+|
|Body= , the [[Hospital|Hospital ]] , was the . The of the , of to . the of the .
Latest revision as of 03:51, 9 May 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
In 1874, some of these resources were transferred to the Marine Hospital Service buildings.
By 1883, the entire complex of buildings was operated as the United States Marine Hospital. The “National Institutes of Health” as the laboratory became known, operated out of the attic rooms from 1887 to 1891. The building that housed the laboratory still stands and is part of the former Bayley Seton Hospital complex.