|(585 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)|
Middle Tennessee State Insane Asylum 1.jpg |+|
Tennessee’s first facility for the mentally ill, [[ Nashville State Hospital| Tennessee Lunatic Asylum]] , opened in 1840 Nashville as the eleventh institution for mentally ill in United States. Dorothea Dix, American activist on behalf of the indigent insane, visited Tennessee in 1847 and found Nashville asylum deficient. She implored the Legislature to purchase a larger site for a new hospital. The next year Legislature appropriated $40, 000 for new hospital for insane. A site purchased on Murfreesboro Turnpike southeast of Nashville. Tennessee Hospital for the Insane (now Middle Tennessee Mental Health Institute) opened with 60 patients transferred from old asylum. William A. Cheatham was the hospital's first superintendent. In mid 2000 the hospital was torn down to make way for a Dell Inc call help center. |+|
|Body= the [[State Hospital |]] in the in the in and . ,of . . the was to .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.