|(134 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
In 1941, the [[ Barboursville State Hospital|State of West Virginia]] purchased 23. 76 acres of land in the Cabell County town of Barboursville. Part of that property included two buildings formerly dorms of Morris Harvey College, which had moved to Charleston in 1935 and would eventually become the University of Charleston. It would take a year to recondition these buildings and install the necessary fixtures. The hospital's original designation was the Barboursville Unit of the Weston State Hospital upon opening January 20, 1942. By August 1st of that year the hospital had reached it's capacity of 270 patients. The state soon made further renovations to accommodate 315 patients. |+|
|Body= the [[State Hospital |State ]] . in the . ,of . . the , that the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.