|(332 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
In December, 1913, a [[ Chicago State Hospital| small one-story cottage]] of brick construction was opened as an unlocked cottage, and accommodates 40 female patients. This new building is cottage ward No. 12. Cottage wards 13 and 14 were completed and occupied in February, 1914. Cottage ward 14 is a parole ward and accommodates 125 male patients. Cottage ward 13 is a closed cottage for male patients. Both buildings are two stories and basement in height, of brick construction and very pleasing to the eye. In cottage ward No. 14 a billiard table has been installed and is quite popular with the patients. |+|
|Body= [[State Hospital |]] . and in and . patients . in , and to the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.