|(348 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
Eastern State Hospital Lexington| The building was finished and the hospital]] formally opened on May 1, 1824. When completed, the brick building measured approximately 66 feet square and was three stories tall over a stone basement. An 1847 lithograph is the earliest identified illustration of the building. The original Fayette Hospital building is the three-story square block with hipped roof located at the center of the illustration. The building was made of handmade brick laid in Flemish bonding. A skylight was located on the hipped roof. Tall chimneys pierced the roof at each corner. |+|
|Body= [[State Hospital |]] . and the the . with of . in . was the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.