|(420 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
stedwards6. png |+|
St. Edward's Hospital| Cheddleton]] was the third and final county asylum in Staffordshire, built to accommodate patients from the north and supplement the existing asylums at Burntwood and Stafford. After carrying out site visits to unsuitable sites in Bramshall, Moderhall, Wetley Rocks and Wolstanton, in February 1892 175 acres were purchased for £12,750 on the edge of the village of Cheddleton. |+|
|Body= [[Hospital |]] the in the and . , ,, were the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.