|(448 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)|
Greystone6. png |+|
Originally opened on August 17, 1876, the hospital was known as the [[ Greystone Park State Hospital| New Jersey State Lunatic Asylum at Morristown.]] The asylum officially received the familiar Greystone Park name in 1924. The idea for such a facility was conceived in the early 1870s at the persistent lobbying of Dorothea Lynde Dix, a former school teacher who was an advocate for better health care for people with mental illnesses. Because of her efforts, the New Jersey Legislature appropriated $2.5 million dollars to obtain about 3.007 square kilometers (743 acres) of land for New Jersey’s second "lunatic asylum. " |+|
|Body= the hospital [[State Hospital |State ]] in . in the ,with . , the .
Revision as of 02:51, 28 February 2021
Featured Image Of The Week
The Kentucky General Assembly changed the name of the hospital to Western State Hospital
in 1919. Investigations by state officials and the Welfare Committee in the late 1930s resulted in renovations and higher standards. In 1950, 2,200 patients were admitted as "incompetent" with loss of rights. Tranquilizers came into use in 1955. By the late 1950s, several psychotropic medications were being marketed and there was a deinstitutionalization effort to weed out patients that did not need to be at the facility.