Buffalo State Hospital |+|
|Title= State Hospital
Buffalo State Hospital NY2.jpg |+|
The [[Buffalo State Hospital|Henry Hobson Richardson Complex]], or the Buffalo State Asylum for the Insane, as it was originally called, started construction in 1870 and was completed almost 20 years later. It was a state-of -the -art facility when it was built, incorporating the most modern ideas in psychiatric treatment. The design of the buildings as well as the restorative grounds, designed by famed landscape designer Frederick Law Olmsted, were intended to complement the innovations in psychiatric care practiced at this facility. |+|
|Body= , the for the was and . of the was the . The the , , the at .
| || |
|−|At the time Richardson was commissioned to design the complex he was still relatively unknown, but he was later to become the first American architect to achieve international fame. The complex was ultimately the largest building of his career and the first to display his characteristic style - what came to be known as Richardsonian Romanesque – and is internationally regarded as one of the best examples of its kind. Among many others, his genius also yielded the New York State Capital, the Albany City Hall, Trinity Church in Boston, and the Glessner House in Chicago. [[ Buffalo State Hospital|Click here for more...]] |+|
the was the , was the first . The was the the to and the , the State . [[State Hospital|Click here for more...]]
Revision as of 05:02, 7 December 2009
Featured Article Of The Week
Allentown State Hospital
In 1901, the Germantown Homeopathic Medical Society of Philadelphia assisted in introducing and furthering a bill in the state legislature to provide for the selection of a site and construction of a state hospital for the insane. The hospital was to be under homeopathic management and control. A number of areas were evaluated before the Rittersville section of Lehigh County was accepted as the construction site. The cornerstone for the hospital was laid on June 27, 1904, but because of delays in financial appropriations, the hospital was not completed until 1912. The hospital was opened on October 3, 1912 at a cost of $1,931,270.
The first admissions were patients from Norristown and Danville State Hospitals, which were both overcrowded at that time. The hospital at Rittersville, or the Allentown Homeopathic Hospital for the Insane as it was called at the time, was the first homeopathic institution of its kind in Pennsylvania. The first Superintendent, Dr. Henry Klopp, was a homeopathic physician and the Hospital was closely allied with the Hahnemann Medical College in Philadelphia. The homeopathic medical approach was gradually changed to the more standard medical model and the homeopathic title was dropped from the name, the Hospital then being referred to as Allentown State Hospital. Click here for more...