Difference between revisions of "Portal:Featured Article Of The Week"

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
 
(18 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
{{FAformat
 
{{FAformat
|Title= New Mexico State Hospital
+
|Title= Mental Health University Institute of Quebec
|Image= newmexico3.png
+
|Image= QC1.png
 
|Width= 150px
 
|Width= 150px
|Body= This facility was established in 1889. They admitted their first patient in 1893 in a modest three story building. The original building which housed the Insane Asylum was completed on March 1, 1892, at a cost of $34,250. A year later the hospital was sufficiently staffed to open its doors for the care and treatment of mentally ill persons from throughout New Mexico. It was expanded because of the growing need for patient care. By 1935, the hospital was treating 750 patients. The term "mistreating", is more accurate as applied to treating mental patients during that era, because of the general medical ignorance about mental illness and disorders. Only recently, has mental illness been considered a disease like any other disease. In 1970 the name was changed to the Las Vegas Medical Center, and in 2005 it became the New Mexico Behavioral Health Institute.
+
|Body= The mid-19th century, the State had not yet decided to care for its most vulnerable citizens. Often, the mentally ill were confined in boxes or kept in prison. But things would soon change thanks to the intervention of a philanthropist from Maine, Dorothea Lynde Dix. In response, the first Quebec asylum, temporary asylum of Beauport, opens its doors on September 15, 1845. At the request of the Governor general, Lord Charles Metcalfe, James Douglas Charles - Jacques Frémont and Joseph Morrin, doctors keep and treat the mentally ill in a suitable institution.
  
The New Mexico Behavioral Health Institute is the only state owned and operated psychiatric hospital in New Mexico. NMBHI is made up of five clinical divisions serving a wide range of public needs. Each division is separately licensed and has its own unique admission criteria. The most familiar is the inpatient care to adult psychiatric patients. They provide adult psychiatric services on six units, serving approximately 1000 admissions per year. The adolescent program is dedicated to treating adolescent sex offenders. The forensic division offers competency evaluation and treatment for adult patients who have allegedly committed a felony.  [[New Mexico State Hospital|Click here for more...]]
+
In 1845, the first 23 patients are greeted in the oldest House of the Canada, the manor house erected in Beauport by Robert Giffard de Moncel, Lord and first physician of new France. Subsequently, asylum is installed in the former residence of judge Amable de Bonne. Enlarged and redesigned, the establishment of a capacity of 275 beds is incorporated in 1850, under the name of Quebec Lunatic Asylum. The establishment interested visitors and foreigners. The bourgeoisie of Québec in fact even his point rally. In 1865, became the asylum for the insane, Québec. For decades, the contracts are renewed without discussion between the Government and the owners. In 1883, the renewal raises a political debate. The future of asylum is played to the Government where a new intervention looks imminent. For ten years, a heated debate surrounds the psychiatric institutions.  [[Mental Health University Institute of Quebec|Click here for more...]]
 
}}
 
}}

Latest revision as of 03:11, 24 October 2021

Featured Article Of The Week

Mental Health University Institute of Quebec


QC1.png

The mid-19th century, the State had not yet decided to care for its most vulnerable citizens. Often, the mentally ill were confined in boxes or kept in prison. But things would soon change thanks to the intervention of a philanthropist from Maine, Dorothea Lynde Dix. In response, the first Quebec asylum, temporary asylum of Beauport, opens its doors on September 15, 1845. At the request of the Governor general, Lord Charles Metcalfe, James Douglas Charles - Jacques Frémont and Joseph Morrin, doctors keep and treat the mentally ill in a suitable institution.

In 1845, the first 23 patients are greeted in the oldest House of the Canada, the manor house erected in Beauport by Robert Giffard de Moncel, Lord and first physician of new France. Subsequently, asylum is installed in the former residence of judge Amable de Bonne. Enlarged and redesigned, the establishment of a capacity of 275 beds is incorporated in 1850, under the name of Quebec Lunatic Asylum. The establishment interested visitors and foreigners. The bourgeoisie of Québec in fact even his point rally. In 1865, became the asylum for the insane, Québec. For decades, the contracts are renewed without discussion between the Government and the owners. In 1883, the renewal raises a political debate. The future of asylum is played to the Government where a new intervention looks imminent. For ten years, a heated debate surrounds the psychiatric institutions. Click here for more...