Difference between revisions of "Portal:Featured Article Of The Week"

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
 
(59 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
{{FAformat
 
{{FAformat
|Title= Edgewood State Hospital
+
|Title= New Mexico State Hospital
|Image= Edgewood2.jpg
+
|Image= newmexico3.png
 
|Width= 150px
 
|Width= 150px
|Body= Edgewood State Hospital was a tubercular/psychiatric hospital complex that formerly stood in Deer Park, New York, on Long Island, New York, USA. It was one of four state mental asylums built on Long Island (the others being Kings Park, Central Islip, and Pilgrim), and was the last one of the four to be built.
+
|Body= This facility was established in 1889. They admitted their first patient in 1893 in a modest three story building. The original building which housed the Insane Asylum was completed on March 1, 1892, at a cost of $34,250. A year later the hospital was sufficiently staffed to open its doors for the care and treatment of mentally ill persons from throughout New Mexico. It was expanded because of the growing need for patient care. By 1935, the hospital was treating 750 patients. The term "mistreating", is more accurate as applied to treating mental patients during that era, because of the general medical ignorance about mental illness and disorders. Only recently, has mental illness been considered a disease like any other disease. In 1970 the name was changed to the Las Vegas Medical Center, and in 2005 it became the New Mexico Behavioral Health Institute.
  
The hospital was built in the early 1940s, believed to be a Works Progress Administration-funded project. It consisted only of ten buildings (including its massive, prominent 13-story main building), making it the smallest of the four as well (although it was planned to be a larger complex, those plans never made it past paper). The facility was commandeered by the War Department after the United States entered World War II. The War Department completed its construction for use as a psychiatric facility for battle-traumatized soldiers. Its entire campus (in addition to three buildings from nearby Pilgrim State Hospital and numerous temporary structures) was used as "Mason General Hospital" by the department.
+
The New Mexico Behavioral Health Institute is the only state owned and operated psychiatric hospital in New Mexico. NMBHI is made up of five clinical divisions serving a wide range of public needs. Each division is separately licensed and has its own unique admission criteria. The most familiar is the inpatient care to adult psychiatric patients. They provide adult psychiatric services on six units, serving approximately 1000 admissions per year. The adolescent program is dedicated to treating adolescent sex offenders. The forensic division offers competency evaluation and treatment for adult patients who have allegedly committed a felony.  [[New Mexico State Hospital|Click here for more...]]
 
 
When the war ended, the hospital was transferred back to New York State, where it essentially operated as the tubercular division of Pilgrim for a few years. In 1946 film director John Huston was assigned by the U.S government to film a documentary film about recovering soldiers in the hospital for propaganda purposes, the film was called "Let There Be Light".  [[Edgewood State Hospital|Click here for more...]]
 
 
}}
 
}}

Latest revision as of 04:00, 13 June 2021

Featured Article Of The Week

New Mexico State Hospital


newmexico3.png

This facility was established in 1889. They admitted their first patient in 1893 in a modest three story building. The original building which housed the Insane Asylum was completed on March 1, 1892, at a cost of $34,250. A year later the hospital was sufficiently staffed to open its doors for the care and treatment of mentally ill persons from throughout New Mexico. It was expanded because of the growing need for patient care. By 1935, the hospital was treating 750 patients. The term "mistreating", is more accurate as applied to treating mental patients during that era, because of the general medical ignorance about mental illness and disorders. Only recently, has mental illness been considered a disease like any other disease. In 1970 the name was changed to the Las Vegas Medical Center, and in 2005 it became the New Mexico Behavioral Health Institute.

The New Mexico Behavioral Health Institute is the only state owned and operated psychiatric hospital in New Mexico. NMBHI is made up of five clinical divisions serving a wide range of public needs. Each division is separately licensed and has its own unique admission criteria. The most familiar is the inpatient care to adult psychiatric patients. They provide adult psychiatric services on six units, serving approximately 1000 admissions per year. The adolescent program is dedicated to treating adolescent sex offenders. The forensic division offers competency evaluation and treatment for adult patients who have allegedly committed a felony. Click here for more...