Nevada State Hospital |+|
|Title= State Hospital
Nevada State Hospital was established in 1885; it was the third asylum in Missouri. The first building to be built was the distinctive Kirkbride main building. Over the years the building lost most of its distinctive features and ornamentation. Originally called Lunatic Asylum Number 3, the State Hospital's first building opened on October 17, 1889. The Second Empire style main building was the single largest public building in Missouri at the time of its construction. The asylum was physically self-sufficient from the beginning. Spread out across 520 acres, it had its own water supply, laundry facilities, power plant, and telephone systems, as well as gardens, a lake, greenhouses, a dairy, a hennery, and a hog farm, all of which aided in the production of food stuffs and provided occupational therapy for inmates. In addition to the main building, the complex contained numerous support buildings, structures, and outbuildings, including an ice plant, power plant, cannery, fire engine house, carpenter shop, barns, and silos. |+|
|Body= State Hospital was the first built the . the the of Lunatic Asylum, the first in . The was the in .
| || |
|−|During the late 1930s, the Missouri State Hospital Number 3 facilities expanded with the construction of new buildings to address overcrowded conditions. Concurrent with the construction of the Infirmary Building for acute care patients, the state built a Clinic Building to the north of the Infirmary Building to house diagnostic intake facilities and donnitory and treatment space for non-acute/chronic care patients. Another new facility on the hospital grounds was an employee dormitory. These improvements marked the most significant physical growth of the institution in the twentieth century. [[ Nevada State Hospital|Click here for more...]] |+|
the , the with the of to .
the of the , the statethe north of the and for the of the . [[State Hospital|Click here for more...]]
Featured Article Of The Week
Austin State Hospital
Austin State Hospital was the first state facility of its kind built west of the Mississippi. In 1856, the governor of Texas signed a bill providing for the establishment of the Texas State Lunatic Asylum. Construction started in 1857, and the first patients were admitted in 1861. The facility was renamed the Austin State Hospital (ASH) in 1925.
Today, this original building serves as the administration building for a modern, innovative facility providing psychiatric care to a 38-county region in Central Texas. ASH admitted over 4400 patients in the fiscal year 2006, with about the same number of discharges, and has an average daily patient census of 292. The focus of treatment is stabilization of acute psychiatric illness and return to the community.
The old Texas State Lunatic Asylum, which now houses the administrative staff of the Austin State Hospital, is the third oldest standing public building our state. With its completion in 1861 in the lush countryside north of Austin, the hospital stood as a beacon of hope and tolerance for the treatment of the mentally ill. Click here for more...