De Paul Sanitarium
|De Paul Sanitarium|
|Current Status||Demolished Partially|
|Building Style||Single Building|
|Location||New Orleans, LA|
The Sisters of Charity of St. Vincent De Paul started caring for the mentally ill in 1841 at Charity Hospital ( a 300 bed facility) and in 1863 the Sister's established a sanitarium specifically for that purpose at the hospital. In 1876 they acquired their own facility. The Louisiana Retreat for the Feeble Minded, as it would be called in 1896, eventually became DePaul Hospital located at 1040 Calhoun Street, New Orleans. Part of the original building still exists as part of the hospital, although the center section has been demolished.