Columbia Park Hospital and Training Center
|Columbia Park Hospital and Training Center|
|Building Style||Single Building|
|Alternate Names||Eastern Oregon Tuberculosis Hospital
Mid-Columbia HomeColumbia Park State Home
Columbia Park Hospital and Training Center, initially called the Mid-Columbia? Home, was created by statute in 1959. The Mid-Columbia? Home took over the facilities of the former Eastern Oregon Tuberculosis Hospital in The Dalles, Oregon. The Mid Columbia Home was established under Oregon Revised Statutes Chapter 428 and was Oregon's first institution for the chronically ill and geriatric patients.
In 1961, the Mid-Columbia? Home was renamed the Columbia Park State Home with the program still designed to help aged patients transferred from other state institutions. During this same year, the Legislative Assembly decided that all patients transferred to the Columbia Park State Home would come only from the Fairview Home.
In 1965, the Columbia Park State Home was renamed the Columbia Park Hospital and Training Center. Its role was changed from the care for the chronically ill and geriatric to the care of mentally retarded adults.
Due to the reduction of patients and a reduced need for the hospital care of the mentally retarded, the Columbia Park Hospital and Training Center was closed in 1977. The facility was sold to Judson Baptist College in the early 1980s. In 1993 it was sold to Columbia Gorge Community College.