Arizona State Industrial School
From Asylum Projects
|Arizona State Industrial School|
|Building Style||Cottage Plan|
|Location||Fort Grant, AZ|
Fort Grant was abandoned in 1905 by the Army, which transferred all troops to Fort Huachuca and left the fort unoccupied except for a caretaker. In 1912, Arizona gained statehood, and the fort was occupied by the State Industrial School for Wayward Boys and Girls, which modernized most of the buildings. In 1968, the state of Arizona officially assigned the site to the Department of Corrections, and in 1973 Fort Grant became a state prison for male convicts. In 1997 the prison became a unit of an Arizona State Prison complex headquartered in Safford.