St. John's Mission School
From Asylum Projects
Revision as of 18:51, 26 April 2024 by Jessogrady (talk | contribs)
St. John's Mission School | |
---|---|
Opened | 1888 |
Closed | 1913 |
Demolished | no/abandoned |
Current Status | Closed |
Location | Grey Horse, OK (ghost town) |
St. John's school for Osage Indian boys opened in October 1888, 8 miles North of Grey Horse along Hominy Creek, by St. Katharine Drexel and the bureau of catholic indian missions. The original log compound replaced by four-story stone building in 1893. Operated by Franciscan sisters (1888-1907) and Christian brothers (1907-1913). It was closed in 1913 by the Osage Tribal Council.
A town at the center of the Osage Murders - it has been a ghost town since being abandoned in 1963.