Difference between revisions of "Portal:Featured Article Of The Week"

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 1: Line 1:
 
{{FAformat
 
{{FAformat
|Title= John Dibert Tuberculosis Hospital
+
|Title= Richmond State Hospital
|Image= JohnDibert.jpg
+
|Image= Richmond.png
 
|Width= 150px
 
|Width= 150px
|Body= The John Dibert Tuberculosis Hospital was built in 1936 in New Orleans. It was founded by Eve Dibert, in memory of her husband and at a cost of $450,692.26. A 1926 report describes the building:
+
|Body= The site for the Eastern Indiana Hospital for the Insane, now known as Richmond State Hospital, of approximately 307 acres, was purchased in 1878. Construction started in 1884 and was completed in 1890. While the Indiana legislature had authorized the establishment of a "hospital for the insane" as early as 1827, the doors of the Indiana Hospital for the Insane (later re-named Central State Hospital) did not open until 1848.
  
"This modern, up-to-date building of two hundred and fifty bed capacity, is a complete hospital unit, fully equipped and capable of caring for, in an efficient manner, the unfortunates who are afflicted with that malady. There is no separate X-Ray unit, but the building is so wired that a portable machine can take pictures of all who are unable to be transported to the Main Laboratory. There is a complete operating room, dental rooms and pathological laboratory that will serve only the patients in that department. A complete kitchen, costing in the neighborhood of $9,000.00, makes it possible to segregate that building from all others. The entire equipment will cost about $25,000.00. This low figure was made possible by competitive bids on every article furnished. It is intended to keep the cost of maintenance entirely separate from the rest of the hospital." [[John Dibert Tuberculosis Hospital|Click here for more...]]
+
At Richmond, between 1887 and 1890, three of the completed buildings were occupied by "The School for Feeble Minded Youth." In 1890, these patients were transferred to what is now known as the Fort Wayne Developmental Center. The buildings were refurbished and the hospital formally opened on July 29, 1890, with the first patient admitted on August 4, 1890. [[Richmond State Hospital|Click here for more...]]
 
}}
 
}}

Revision as of 10:37, 8 March 2026

Featured Article Of The Week

Richmond State Hospital


Richmond.png

The site for the Eastern Indiana Hospital for the Insane, now known as Richmond State Hospital, of approximately 307 acres, was purchased in 1878. Construction started in 1884 and was completed in 1890. While the Indiana legislature had authorized the establishment of a "hospital for the insane" as early as 1827, the doors of the Indiana Hospital for the Insane (later re-named Central State Hospital) did not open until 1848.

At Richmond, between 1887 and 1890, three of the completed buildings were occupied by "The School for Feeble Minded Youth." In 1890, these patients were transferred to what is now known as the Fort Wayne Developmental Center. The buildings were refurbished and the hospital formally opened on July 29, 1890, with the first patient admitted on August 4, 1890. Click here for more...