Difference between revisions of "Portal:Featured Image Of The Week"

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 1: Line 1:
 
{{FIformat
 
{{FIformat
|Image= anna1950s.jpg
+
|Image= East Mississippi State Hospital.jpg
 
|Width= 120px
 
|Width= 120px
|Body= [[Anna State Hospital|Southern Hospital for the Insane]], located at Anna, Union County, founded by act of the Legislature in 1869. The original site comprised 290 acres and cost a little more than $22,0000, of which one-fourth was donated by citizens of the county. The construction of buildings was begun in 1869, but it was not until March 1875, that the north wing (the first completed) was ready for occupancy. Other portions were completed a year later. The Trustees purchased 160 additional acres in 1883. The first cost (up to September, 1876) was nearly $635,000. In 1881 one wing of the main building was destroyed by fire, and was subsequently rebuilt; the patients being, meanwhile, cared for in temporary wooden barracks.                                      
+
|Body= On March 8, 1882, the Mississippi State Legislature approved enabling legislation to establish the [[East Mississippi State Hospital|East Mississippi State Insane Asylum]]. This came about largely due to the efforts of Miss Dorothea Dix, a champion for the mentally ill in the United States. The city of Meridian purchased and donated 560 acres of land for the facility's construction. The asylum opened its doors for service in January of 1885, with a 19 year old man from Meridian as the first patient.                                        
 
}}
 
}}

Revision as of 10:13, 25 January 2026

Featured Image Of The Week

East Mississippi State Hospital.jpg
On March 8, 1882, the Mississippi State Legislature approved enabling legislation to establish the East Mississippi State Insane Asylum. This came about largely due to the efforts of Miss Dorothea Dix, a champion for the mentally ill in the United States. The city of Meridian purchased and donated 560 acres of land for the facility's construction. The asylum opened its doors for service in January of 1885, with a 19 year old man from Meridian as the first patient.