Difference between revisions of "Bedford County Almshouse"
From Asylum Projects
m |
|||
Line 6: | Line 6: | ||
| caption = | | caption = | ||
| construction began = | | construction began = | ||
− | | opened = | + | | opened = 1873 |
− | | closed = | + | | closed = 1978 |
| demolished = | | demolished = | ||
− | | current_status = [[Demolished Institution|Demolished]] (Original Campus) | + | | current_status = [[Demolished Institution|Demolished]] (Original Campus) |
| building_style = [[Single Building Institutions|Single Building]], | | building_style = [[Single Building Institutions|Single Building]], | ||
| architect(s) = | | architect(s) = | ||
− | | location = | + | | location = Bedford, PA |
| architecture_style =Italianate | | architecture_style =Italianate | ||
| peak_patient_population = | | peak_patient_population = | ||
Line 22: | Line 22: | ||
==History== | ==History== | ||
− | The Bedford County almshouse was erected in 1872, though it is likely the institution was in existence for some years prior. | + | The Bedford County almshouse was erected in 1872, though it is likely the institution was in existence for some years prior. The main almshouse building was listed on the National Register of Historic place on 1988 along with several outbuildings. Tragically the building burned down in 2006 and appears to have since been demolished. |
− | |||
− | |||
− | |||
− | The main almshouse building was listed on the National Register of Historic place on 1988 along with several outbuildings. Tragically the building burned down in 2006 and appears to have since been demolished. | ||
==Cemetery== | ==Cemetery== | ||
Line 32: | Line 28: | ||
This institution did have a cemetery, with the last burial being in 1976. It is located near the almshouse site at 39°59′13″N 78°32′32″W | This institution did have a cemetery, with the last burial being in 1976. It is located near the almshouse site at 39°59′13″N 78°32′32″W | ||
− | == Images of | + | == Images of Bedford County Almshouse == |
− | |||
<gallery> | <gallery> | ||
Line 45: | Line 40: | ||
[[Category:Pennsylvania]] | [[Category:Pennsylvania]] | ||
− | [[Category: | + | [[Category:Demolished Institution]] |
[[Category:County Almshouse]] | [[Category:County Almshouse]] | ||
[[Category:Single Building Institutions]] | [[Category:Single Building Institutions]] | ||
[[Category:Institution With A Cemetery]] | [[Category:Institution With A Cemetery]] |
Latest revision as of 14:59, 30 June 2020
Bedford County Almshouse | |
---|---|
![]() | |
Opened | 1873 |
Closed | 1978 |
Current Status | Demolished (Original Campus) |
Building Style | Single Building, |
Location | Bedford, PA |
Architecture Style | Italianate |
Alternate Names |
|
History[edit]
The Bedford County almshouse was erected in 1872, though it is likely the institution was in existence for some years prior. The main almshouse building was listed on the National Register of Historic place on 1988 along with several outbuildings. Tragically the building burned down in 2006 and appears to have since been demolished.
Cemetery[edit]
This institution did have a cemetery, with the last burial being in 1976. It is located near the almshouse site at 39°59′13″N 78°32′32″W