Difference between revisions of "Suffolk County Almshouse"
(Created page with "{{infobox institution | name = Suffolk County Almshouse | image = | image_size = 250px | alt = | caption = | established = | construction_began = | construction_ended = | ope...") |
m |
||
Line 1: | Line 1: | ||
{{infobox institution | {{infobox institution | ||
| name = Suffolk County Almshouse | | name = Suffolk County Almshouse | ||
− | | image = | + | | image = suffolkco.png |
| image_size = 250px | | image_size = 250px | ||
| alt = | | alt = | ||
Line 8: | Line 8: | ||
| construction_began = | | construction_began = | ||
| construction_ended = | | construction_ended = | ||
− | | opened = | + | | opened = 1870/1937 |
− | | closed = | + | | closed = 1994 |
| demolished = | | demolished = | ||
− | | current_status = [[ | + | | current_status = [[Preserved Institution|Preserved]] |
| building_style = [[Single Building Institutions|Single Building]] | | building_style = [[Single Building Institutions|Single Building]] | ||
| architect(s) = | | architect(s) = | ||
− | | location = | + | | location = Yaphank, NY |
| architecture_style = | | architecture_style = | ||
| peak_patient_population = | | peak_patient_population = | ||
Line 31: | Line 31: | ||
[[Category:New York]] | [[Category:New York]] | ||
[[Category:Single Building Institutions]] | [[Category:Single Building Institutions]] | ||
− | [[Category: | + | [[Category:Preserved Institution]] |
Revision as of 15:35, 9 July 2020
Suffolk County Almshouse | |
---|---|
Opened | 1870/1937 |
Closed | 1994 |
Current Status | Preserved |
Building Style | Single Building |
Location | Yaphank, NY |
Alternate Names |
|
History
The Suffolk County Poor House, as it was originally known, was established to care for the poor. The Poor House became a catch-all for all types of wasted humanity. Criminals, lunatics, cripples- all were herded under the same roof with the poverty-stricken. The Poor House was the solution to a wide range of social ills. No consideration was given to either the person who was called an "inmate," or to the cause of his or her problem. In 1929 New York State mandated that all institutions known as a "poor house" or an "almshouse" change the name. As a result, the Suffolk County Almshouse changed its name to the Suffolk County Home.
In 1937, a new brick Suffolk County Home was built further down Yaphank Avenue. After 1938, residents were no longer required to work, but many chose to do so until 1940. In 1994, the John J. Foley Skilled Nursing Facility was opened and the old brick building became Suffolk County Offices.