Difference between revisions of "Portal:Featured Article Of The Week"

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
 
(29 intermediate revisions by the same user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
{{FAformat
 
{{FAformat
|Title= Norwich State Hospital
+
|Title= Farmington State Hospital
|Image= File:Nsh.jpg
+
|Image= Farmington.jpg
 
|Width= 150px
 
|Width= 150px
|Body= he Norwich State Hospital opened its doors in 1904 to the insane with ninety-five patients in one building on over 100 acres.
+
|Body= Received its first patients in 1903. The state budgeted $150,000 to build the hospital itself and in 1901, an additional $120,000 went for new buildings and equipment. Five cottages were built for patients and from 1901 to 1902 a dining room, kitchen, power house, barns, laundry, ice plant, the folk building (set aside for nurses, attendants and recreation), an administration building, the Hall building, the superintendents' residences and the Harrison Building, a receiving building and acute care hospital, were constructed. Dr. William Hall admitted the first three patients in 1903 and by 1904, the population stood at 332. By 1907, 795 patients were housed at the hospital. By 1922, the hospital was so crowded the superintendent's home was converted to housing for women patients. In 1925, the Hyde Building was built and the Folk Building was converted to house female patients. Another milestone was marked in 1925 when Dr. Emmett Hoctor took over as superintendent of Farmington State Hospital, then known as State hospital Number 4. [[Farmington State Hospital|Click here for more...]]
 
 
One of the hospital’s first superintendents believed that mechanical restraint of patients was preferable to medication and believed in hydrotherapy as a treatment measure. The hospital's board quickly realized the population was exceeding what was safe. In 1905, two patient buildings were built, with a third opening in 1907.
 
 
 
Thirteen buildings were erected for patients during the next eight years. In 1913, with a population of 998, an administration building, three cottages for physicians, a carpenter and maintenance shop, the main kitchen, garage, laboratory, staff house, and an employees’ clubhouse had been erected, and the inebriate farm and the Colony had been established.
 
 
 
Seven new buildings were built between 1920 and 1930; another was purchased for patients’ use. In 1929, the hospital peaked with 1,115 patients, while in 1930, the average daily census reached 2,422. In addition to new patient facilities, two more cottages were erected for physicians, a female employees’ home, a paint shop, a greenhouse, a superintendent’s residence, and two garages were built. [[Norwich State Hospital|Click here for more...]]
 
 
}}
 
}}

Latest revision as of 10:21, 30 March 2025

Featured Article Of The Week

Farmington State Hospital


Farmington.jpg

Received its first patients in 1903. The state budgeted $150,000 to build the hospital itself and in 1901, an additional $120,000 went for new buildings and equipment. Five cottages were built for patients and from 1901 to 1902 a dining room, kitchen, power house, barns, laundry, ice plant, the folk building (set aside for nurses, attendants and recreation), an administration building, the Hall building, the superintendents' residences and the Harrison Building, a receiving building and acute care hospital, were constructed. Dr. William Hall admitted the first three patients in 1903 and by 1904, the population stood at 332. By 1907, 795 patients were housed at the hospital. By 1922, the hospital was so crowded the superintendent's home was converted to housing for women patients. In 1925, the Hyde Building was built and the Folk Building was converted to house female patients. Another milestone was marked in 1925 when Dr. Emmett Hoctor took over as superintendent of Farmington State Hospital, then known as State hospital Number 4. Click here for more...