Difference between revisions of "Portal:Featured Image Of The Week"

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 1: Line 1:
 
{{FIformat
 
{{FIformat
|Image= East Mississippi State Hospital.jpg
+
|Image= TNstthomasPC.png
 
|Width= 120px
 
|Width= 120px
|Body= On March 8, 1882, the Mississippi State Legislature approved enabling legislation to establish the [[East Mississippi State Hospital|East Mississippi State Insane Asylum]]. This came about largely due to the efforts of Miss Dorothea Dix, a champion for the mentally ill in the United States. The city of Meridian purchased and donated 560 acres of land for the facility's construction. The asylum opened its doors for service in January of 1885, with a 19 year old man from Meridian as the first patient.                                        
+
|Body= [[St. Thomas Hospital|The hospital]] is named for its founder, Bishop Thomas S. Byrne of Nashville. In 1898 he bought a mansion home in a residential West End neighborhood on Church Street between Twentieth and Twenty-first Avenues and converted it into a hospital. Four years later, in 1902, the hospital was constructed for $200,000 to meet their growing needs. The hospital was made of red brick and had arched roof gardens on either end of the building. In 1974 the current building opened on Harding Road, and by 1975 the old St. Thomas Hospital was torn down to make way for a Baptist Hospital parking lot.                                        
 
}}
 
}}

Revision as of 11:23, 1 February 2026

Featured Image Of The Week

TNstthomasPC.png
The hospital is named for its founder, Bishop Thomas S. Byrne of Nashville. In 1898 he bought a mansion home in a residential West End neighborhood on Church Street between Twentieth and Twenty-first Avenues and converted it into a hospital. Four years later, in 1902, the hospital was constructed for $200,000 to meet their growing needs. The hospital was made of red brick and had arched roof gardens on either end of the building. In 1974 the current building opened on Harding Road, and by 1975 the old St. Thomas Hospital was torn down to make way for a Baptist Hospital parking lot.