Sandstone State Hospital
|Sandstone State Hospital|
|Opened||1950 (as a state run facility)|
|Building Style||Cottage Plan|
The Sandstone State Hospital was operated from 1950 to 1959 in a facility leased from the Federal Bureau of Prisons, which had vacated it in 1948. The hospital had programs for the mentally ill, mentally retarded, and alcoholic. The patient population was all male, most of whom were transferred to Sandstone from other institutions in the state. On June 30, 1959, the Department of Public Welfare discontinued the operation of a state hospital at Sandstone, and the facility was turned back to the Federal Bureau of Prisons. Today it is a low security facility for male offenders.