Northern Maine Sanatorium
|Northern Maine Sanatorium|
|Building Style||Cottage Plan|
|Location||Reach Road, Presque Isle, Maine|
The building of the Northern Maine Sanatorium was authorized by the Maine Legislature in 1915 as a third tuberculosis hospital at the time the State acquired the Central Maine Sanatorium at Fairfield and the Western Maine Sanatorium at Hebron. Land was acquired on the outskirts of Presque Isle and the buildings were erected in the early 1920s. There were three patient buildings, the Powers Building, for men, with 30 beds, completed in 1920, the Wilson Building, for women, with 48 beds, completed in 1922 and the Knight Building, for children, with 42 beds, completed in 1924. The sanatorium was closed in 1959 and today the buildings are in use as apartments.