Northern Indiana State Developmental Center
|Northern Indiana State Developmental Center|
|Building Style||Single Building|
|Location||South Bend, IN|
The facility was established in South Bend in 1950 as the Northern Indiana Children’s Hospital to care for children with polio. As the need for beds for children crippled by polio declined, the 1961 General Assembly converted the hospital into a unit for the care of mentally retarded children. It later transitioned into caring for developmentally disabled children in the northern half of Indiana. By the time the facility closed in 1999, it had admitted 16,974 patients.