Martin Luther Home
|Martin Luther Home|
|Building Style||Single Building|
Three pastors and two laymen saw the need for a school for children with disabilities. They met in Sterling at the former Martin Luther Academy, a school that had been closed for several years. The founders included the Revs. Julius Moehl, August Hoeger, and William Fruehling, and laymen John Aden and William Ehmen. The Martin Luther Home Society was organized on October 20, 1925.
As word spread that a home for children and adults with disabilities was opening in Sterling, families began bringing their children for placement, even though the Home was not ready. Pastor Moehl, pastor of St. John Lutheran Church in Sterling, and his wife, Martha, had three small children of their own. Yet they took these students into their home and assumed responsibility for their care.
As the building aged and the student population grew, extensive renovation was needed or the Home would face the possibility of state closure. The decision was made to build a new facility. The organization moved to Beatrice in 1956 to a newly-built campus. In 2003 Martin Luther Homes consolidated with Bethphage to become Mosaic.