|Building Style||Cottage Plan|
The Livermore Sanitartium was started in 1893 by Dr. John W. Robertson for the treatment of nervous and general diseases. Since 1894, however it has been practically devoted to the treatment of mental diseases.
In 1912 Dr. V. H. Podsata, formerly superintendent of Elgin State Hospital, Illinois, and Dr. Willhite of Dunning, Chicago, became interested in the institution, since when it has been conducted under the joint names of Drs. Robertson, Podsata, and Willhite.
There are no large buildings, but many isolated cottages, some for single individuals, and all without either window guards or enclosed restraints. All patients receive individual nursing and care. The general hydropathic building was completed in 1906, and occupies grounds entirely separate from the cottages.