Hawthornden State Hospital
|Hawthornden State Hospital|
|Building Style||Cottage Plan|
Hawthornden State Hospital, later known as Western Reserve Psychiatric Habilitation Center, operated as a farm for Cleveland State Hospital from 1922 until 1938. In 1926, due to overcrowding at Cleveland State Hospital, a building was erected to house 150 patients. It was established as a separate facility in 1941. Over the years more land was acquired & about 30 buildings were constructed. The 1970s brought changes to the hospital. Many of the original buildings from the 1920s and '30s were demolished for newer facilities.
In 2011 the Cleveland campus for Northcoast was closed and consolidated here. Today the facility operates under the Northcoast Healthcare system.