Hamburg Tuberculosis Sanatorium
|Hamburg Tuberculosis Sanatorium|
|Opened||1914 (as a sanitarium), 1960 (as state school)|
|Closed||1959 (as a sanitarium)|
|Building Style||Cottage Plan|
Known as the Hamburg Tuberculosis Hospital this facility it opened in 1914, originally established as a hospital to care for people with tuberculosis. Its name was changed in 1956 to the Charles H. Miner State Hospital at Hamburg. In 1959, with the advent of effective medicine to defeat tuberculosis the hospital closed as a sanitarium. This closure was brief however, and the ownership was transferred from the Department of Health to the Department of Public Welfare and renamed The Hamburg State School and Hospital.
In January 1960, the facility re-opened as a center for people with mental retardation. In 1976 it was renamed its current name, Hamburg Center. To this day the Hamburg Center continues to carry out its mission of providing care and services to people with intellectual disabilities, with a goal of helping them learn to live independently in the community. At one time, more than 900 people lived at Hamburg Center. Today, the center has 122 occupants, many with physical as well as mental challenges. Hamburg consists of 43 buildings located on 154 acres of land and is a 269 bed intermediate care facility.
Hamburg Center provides a wide range of services and programs, including recreational programs, living skills and vocational training, occupational and physical therapy, speech therapy, psychological and social services, and medical and dental care. These services are all intended to help people develop the skills they will need for independence within the community.
This hospital housed the conjoined twins - Lori and Dori (Reba)Schappell.
Images of Hamburg Tuberculosis Sanatorium
Main Image Gallery: Hamburg Tuberculosis Sanatorium