Galveston State Psychopathic Hospital
|Galveston State Psychopathic Hospital|
|Building Style||Single Building|
The Marvin Graves Building was constructed in 1931 as the State Psychopathic Hospital and enlarged in 1936. Although located on the UTMB campus, it was administered independently of the school. Because of heavy damage from a 1943 hurricane, the state vacated the building. It sat unoccupied and unrepaired until 1945, when the state legislature gave it to UTMB. Reopened as a university psychiatric facility, the structure was extensively remodeled in 1959 and updated again in 1979. The building was renamed in memory of Dr. Marvin L. Graves, who served as UTMB professor of medicine from 1905 to 1926 and who introduced psychiatry into the university’s curriculum. It currently houses classrooms and administrative offices.