White Sanitarium

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
White Sanitarium
Opened 1926
Closed 1956
Current Status Preserved
Building Style Single Building
Location Wichita Falls, TX
Alternate Names


The White Sanitarium opened in 1926 under the direction of Frank S. White, a man who had been superintendent at the state asylum in Austin before the turn of the century. He first advocated providing a non-institutionalized lifestyle for his patients to diminish the effects of the asylum itself on their sanity. It was abandoned sometime in the 50′s after being severely damaged by a flood and sat empty for over 50 years. The building was recently renovated and converted into a private residence.