Wayne County Training School
|Wayne County Training School|
|Building Style||Cottage Plan|
|Location||Northville Twp, MI|
The Wayne County Training School was the only county run training school in the United States. In 1919 Judge Henry Hulbert was concerned with poor conditions at the Lapeer State Home. His appeal to the County board led to the passage of a public act to allow the County build their own school. In 1924 1000 acres was purchased in rural Northville Township, land that is the highest point in the county and the located at the farthest western border.
Feb 27th 2008 a historical seminar was hosted by the Northville Historical Commission. In attendance were many people associated with the school throughout its history. Highlights of the seminar can be found
Pasquale Buoniconto was Chief of staff at Danvers State Hospital prior to heading the WCTS.
- Film found at the WCTS in the 1990's by a Canton High School Student. It was digitized by the Northville Historic Commission. It was uploaded to Youtube by Northville Tunnels.
- The following is an October 2020 lecture presentation for the Wayne Historical Society. A short historical review of the history of the County House later known as Eloise.