Vernon County Asylum
|Vernon County Asylum|
|Demolished||1980 (original building)|
|Building Style||Single Building|
The Vernon County Insane Asylum was approved in November 1887 and was opened in January 1889. It was first built to accommodate 150 patients. In 1896 a new almshouse was built on the county farm near the asylum. By 1953, the Vernon County Board awarded $331,549 for a new county home, which was completed in 10 months. In 1954, the Vernon County Home for Retired Citizens (the “New Home”) was opened. It was later called the Erlandson Building when the current facility opened. In 1970, the “Old Home” officially became a residential home with a capacity of 50 people. In 1976, the “Old Home” was closed; it was eventually torn down. In October of 1981, the current facility, Vernon Manor, opened. In 2000 the facility’s therapy room was built, while in 2001 the interior was remodeled. In 2002 the new power plant and laundry were built. When residents were moved from what is now the Erlandson Building to Vernon Manor, there were bathrooms in every resident room.