Difference between revisions of "Undercliff Sanatorium"

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
(Created page with '{{infobox institution | name = Undercliff Sanatorium | image = | image_size = | alt = | caption = | established = | construction_began = 1910 | construction_ended = | opened =…')
(No difference)

Revision as of 07:42, 11 November 2009

Undercliff Sanatorium
Construction Began 1910
Current Status Active
Building Style Single Building
Alternate Names Meriden Sanatorium

Undercliff Hospital Undercliff Mental Health Center Meriden Regional Center

Central Connecticut Regional Center

From Connecticut State Library:

  • 1910, established as the Meriden Sanatorium by the State Tuberculosis Commission
  • 1922/1924? Name changed to Undercliff Sanatorium
  • 1918, became first sanatorium in the country devoted exclusively to children (per 1952-1953 Digest of Administrative Reports)
  • 1939, Fall, began accepting adults
  • 1954, May, all children transferred to the the Seaside Sanatorium in Waterford. During 1954, adults were transferred to either Laurel Heights, Cedarcrest, or Uncas on Thames Sanatoria.
  • 1954, November 16, facility was made available for other purposes beside tuberculosis, administration for the facility was transferred to the Commission on the Care and Treatment of the Chronically Ill, Aged and Infirm.
  • 1956, July 1 Undercliff Hospital transferred from Commission for the Care and Treatment of the Chronically Ill, Aged and Infirm to the Dept. of Mental Health. Restructured as Undercliff Hospital, a rehabilitation facility for patients from the three state hospitals.
  • 1963, Oct. 1, statutory change allows Undercliff to function as a Mental Hospital and accept patients directly from an area designated by the Commissioner of Mental Health, as well as referrals from the state hospitals.
  • 1965, Jan., for the first time accepted and treated direct admissions from the city of Meriden.
  • 1967, Per P.A. 117, name change from Undercliff Hospital to Undercliff Mental Health Center. Meriden-Wallingford? Day Care Center begins using buildings on the grounds. Some buildings are transferred to Dept. of Health and will become the nucleus of the Meriden Regional Center.
  • 1976, Use of facility as an inpatient hospital is discontinued. In March admissions are no longer accepted; May 28, 1976, last patient was discharged. Most staff and equipment was transferred to Cedarcrest Hospital in Newington. The Outpatient Dept. was placed under the jurisdiction of Conn. Valley Hospital in Middletown and continued serving the area.
  • 1977, Per P.A. 77-220, transfer administration and control of facility and grounds from Commissioner of Mental Health to Commissioner of Children and Youth Services and the Commissioner of Mental Retardation.