Sunny Rest Sanatorium
|Sunny Rest Sanatorium|
|Building Style||Single Building|
Sunny Rest Sanatorium began receiving tuberculosis patients in 1913. A board of three trustees, elected by the County Board of Supervisors, established policies and appointed a superintendent to manage the institution. Patients were admitted upon recommendation of a physician and approval by the county court. By the late 1950s, improved treatment and prevention of tuberculosis resulted in a sharp decline in the sanatorium's patient population. To promote efficient management, the sanatorium was combined with the other county institutions in 1960 under a single administrator. In 1962 the sanatorium was closed while an out-patient clinic was maintained to treat tuberculosis.