Difference between revisions of "Ruston State School"

From Asylum Projects
Jump to: navigation, search
m
(Added some information about the current use for the campus)
 
Line 24: Line 24:
 
==History==
 
==History==
 
Originally constructed as a WAC (Women’s Army Corps) in 1942. From June 1943 until August 1946 is operated as a POW camp, it's peak population hitting over 4,000. After the war, the property was turned over to the state & operated as a tuberculosis hospital until 1958. At that time it became a developmental center. It was announced in March 2010 that the center would close at the end of the year.  
 
Originally constructed as a WAC (Women’s Army Corps) in 1942. From June 1943 until August 1946 is operated as a POW camp, it's peak population hitting over 4,000. After the war, the property was turned over to the state & operated as a tuberculosis hospital until 1958. At that time it became a developmental center. It was announced in March 2010 that the center would close at the end of the year.  
 +
 +
The campus now seems to be home to the west campus for Grambling State University.
  
 
[[Category:Louisiana]]
 
[[Category:Louisiana]]
 
[[Category:Cottage Plan]]
 
[[Category:Cottage Plan]]
 
[[Category:Closed Institution]]
 
[[Category:Closed Institution]]

Latest revision as of 08:26, 13 January 2021

Ruston State School
Construction Began 1942
Opened 1958
Closed 2010
Current Status Closed
Building Style Cottage Plan
Location Ruston, LA
Alternate Names
  • Ruston Developmental Center
  • Northeast Support and Services Center



History[edit]

Originally constructed as a WAC (Women’s Army Corps) in 1942. From June 1943 until August 1946 is operated as a POW camp, it's peak population hitting over 4,000. After the war, the property was turned over to the state & operated as a tuberculosis hospital until 1958. At that time it became a developmental center. It was announced in March 2010 that the center would close at the end of the year.

The campus now seems to be home to the west campus for Grambling State University.