Featured Image Of The Week
The City of Boston established the Boston Sanatorium
, first known as Consumptives Hospital, for the care of indigent persons suffering from advanced tuberculosis, one of six hospitals created in the first decade of the 20th century to provide additional services for the city’s poor. The 51-acre campus along the Neponset River enabled the city to isolate highly contagious tubercular patients from the general population at the same time that it could provide them with clean air and a spacious outdoor setting away from the crowded city. The Boston firm of Magginis and Walsh laid out the campus and designed the original hospital buildings between 1907-1920.