Featured Image Of The Week
Part of a nationwide wave of funding to provide facilities for Native Americans suffering from tuberculosis in the 1930s, the Winslow Sanatorium
was authorized by Congress in 1931. Construction was begun by a Texas company, McKee, in 1932 with the facility opening to its first patients from the Hopi and Navajo reservations in 1933. Registered as a hospital with the American Medical Association, it was officially known as Winslow Sanatorium. The following year operations were transferred from the federal government to the Navajo Health Authority, who operated it until it again became a federal facility under the Indian Health Service in 1948, when it fully became a general hospital.