Portal:Featured Image Of The Week

From Asylum Projects
Revision as of 02:50, 14 September 2015 by M-Explorer (talk | contribs)
Jump to: navigation, search

Featured Image Of The Week

In 1851 the county poor farm was established at the town of Jefferson, Ill., about 12 miles northwest of Chicago. The farm consisted of 160 acres of fairly improved land, and was formerly owned by peter Ludby, who located it in 1839. Additional land was purchased in 1860 and in 1884. In 1915 the land consisted of 234 acres. By November, 1854, the county poorhouse was nearly finished. The building was of brick, three stories high and basement, and cost about $25,000.