Featured Image Of The Week
In 1889 the City of Glasgow bought Gartloch Estate
for nearly £8,600. Here the Glasgow District Lunacy Board built an asylum for the poor people of the city. In 1896 the first patients were admitted. Gartloch Hospital is (was) situated on the eastern edge of the City of Glasgow on the Gartloch Road near the village of Gartcosh. "Gart" in old Scots means a Garden or enclosure. The name probably arose because the original estate had extensive gardens near Bishop's Loch.